March 01, 2006
Is your project agile?
To determine if your project is agile answer these questions with a yes or no:
- Is project progress measured by the delivery of working software?
- Does the software have extensive automated unit test coverage?
- Are there multiple integration builds per day that include compilation, unit testing, functional testing and deployment steps?
- Is there a high degree of direct involvement by the business during the development process?
- Is the development effort driven by acceptance tests?
- Do developers spend most of their time collaborating?
- Are planning, analysis, architecture, development, and QA all performed continuously?
- Is there a recently built running system available at all times?
- Is development work delivered in fine-grained units of no more than one month?
An agile project should answer "yes" to almost every question.
Thanks to Derek Walsh and the Australian ThoughtWorkers for the questions; I've edited their original version.